Wednesday 10 June 2015

Reflections

As some of you will know, I had quite a long break from blogging but have recently resumed writing and sharing again. When I log in to write a new post, I see figures for how many views my blog posts have had and it has provoked some reflection as to what people like to read about on here. I have spent some time this week reading other blogs which has helped me in my reflection. I started this as a sort of crafting journal and as a prompt to try new things and as a record to look back on. But I was part of crafting groups and had more time to try things whereas life feels full of family related things and so a move towards a parenting blog would be natural but it is not for me. I appreciate reading other people's anecdotes but I don't feel I have the 'tone' for the humorous retelling of how my son covered himself in sudocreme in the same day he emptied washing powder onto the floor and made snow angels (personal true story).

In a pre 3rd child life, I taught A Level Philosophy, Religious Studies and Sociology and some of the blogs I read were thought provoking and quite conceptual. Again I've enjoyed reading them but don't feel I have much to say in the way of my own philosophical musings. I've looked at interior blogs but who am I kidding, my house is not tidy enough or clean enough for regular photographs being taken and my progress is slow there!

I guess I came back to liking my blog as is. A glimpse into what I'm making, whether it's food or sewing, or something new. I'll link to other crafters whose work I am enjoying and appreciating; my inspirations from magazines, pinterest and other's blogs. There will be kiddie related things and some interior related bits.  I did find some photo editing tools which I hope to use more and I think I'm going to resume my project 52 but they may not be as adventurous as before! I'd appreciate thoughts and feedback if there's specific things you enjoy reading about but for now, here's some of the best crafty blogs I've discovered.

art bar blog: written by mum and art teacher Bar Rucci who makes fantastic art from everyday things and makes reproducing them achievable for non artists like me with one child or many and varied in age range. Really recommend this for mums.

betsy makes: I love crochet and this blog is beautiful. Samantha writes with an easy natural style and I'm excited to have subscribed to her blog. She also sees and recently knitted socks. Do peruse her blog with a cup of tea as you will want to read previous posts too.

diaryofamumof3: Caroline writes a parenting blog but she has a great honest style that isn't trying too hard to be funny or impressive which makes for a comfortably paced and light enjoyable read and she updates regularly. Her pictures of family life are gorgeously natural and not staged!

Musings for the potting shed: I met author Luke a few weeks back where he shared some of his music, notes on his book and a glimpse of his blog and I was hooked. I find his blog intriguing and thought provoking and appeals to my brain which I admit, I'm relieved it still works!

smile and wave: Rachel is a professional American blogger and crafter running e-courses and is sponsored-so we're talking seriously impressive, stunning photography and very cool crafty makes I want to imitate and adapt NOW.

willow day: Gina is from the US but lives in Sweeden and is also a mum of 3 (that is not a prerequisite of who I follow but I do seem to be able to find these fellow ladies). Her ideas make great use of nature which is always pleasing as usually free but again she uses such fabulous images that are so aesthetically pleasing as art in themselves but also the concepts are simple and replicable.

I hope you do have a peek at these and that you enjoy them as much as I have. Please do recommend blogs you think I may enjoy too, and if you can't get enough, I also have the usual links to mum wants a farm, skunkboy blog, mommy by day crafter by night and tigerlilly Quinn (to name a few) on the left hand side of my screen.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Katie - I really like your blog, and completely understand where you're coming from about being authentic and not being intimidated by how other people blog or present themselves! Glad to hear your brain still works too! Keep up the good work, and enjoy the process :) Take care, Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Luke. I have found it really helpful reading more established blogs such as yours and am grateful for the brain prompts! Am enjoying the process of writing again :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Luke. I have found it really helpful reading more established blogs such as yours and am grateful for the brain prompts! Am enjoying the process of writing again :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Luke. I have found it really helpful reading more established blogs such as yours and am grateful for the brain prompts! Am enjoying the process of writing again :D

    ReplyDelete