Wednesday 30 October 2013

Banana Cake

I'm not much of a baker but the girls love to do it and my husband loves cakes so they do go down well on the occasions when I make one. We had some miserable looking bananas and with it being half term, I thought it might be a good idea to bake with them.  A quick internet search delivered this recipe:

2 Ripe Bananas overripe is best)
170g caster sugar
170g S.R.flour
170g soft margarine
3 eggs
Vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 160C/ Gas mark 3
Use a food processor to blend all ingredients well
Pour into a lined loaf tin
Bake for 1 hour
Cool and enjoy

Very easy instructions so I gave it a go: 


I mixed the butter and sugar together and then folded the sifted flour in using a metal spoon,  I then added the eggs one at a time and finally the chopped bananas.  I used my hand blender to really mix it all and get a light  mixture.  The recipe here said to use vanilla essence but another recipe had said to use golden syrup or treacle with spices so I also added a tbsp of golden syrup and tsp of cinnamon. I greased the inside of my loaf tin and then poured in the mixture.


 It goes into the preheated oven for an hour and presto:


It smelled amazing and slipped out of the tin really easily without breaking/ crumbling.


It's a moist sponge so perfect with a cup of tea- especially while still warm but I will serve it with hot custard tonight which makes a great autumn/ winter pudding.  It was very easy to do and I will definitely be doing this to use up ripe bananas from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment