Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Patchwork with quilting dies

 I love my bigshot but since buying it last October, I haven’t used it for the purpose for which it was purchased, namely patchwork.  I bought a few animal dies when I got the machine but the quilting dies are all quite expensive so I wasn't able to get any more until we went to the Stitch and craft show at the NEC when my sister bought me a square 3.5’’ die and my parents bought me the coordinating triangle on.  I  also bought a birdie die which has a little hen.   They were on a multi-buy offer and so I felt I had bagged a bargain until Sizzix sent me an email about their special 85% off Spring sale where I bought 6 more dies with postage for….. £20! Well now I was excited and felt it was my responsibility to test them out.

Rooting through my scraps I found some strips of a bright floral fabric which had been curtains in a previous life but arrived in a bag of offcuts to me.   Had some Ikea fabric which had similar colours and I was able to find plain red and pink gingham to coordinate.  I was quick to begin cutting squares and circles of the fabric.  

I've seen Suffolk Puffs lots of times and have only made 1 before for the Cath Kidston Dresden Plate bag but have wanted to make more.  With the circle die cutting 8 + circles at once, I foresee Yoyo adorned pieces henceforth!

The patchwork cushion took shape quickly and I made 5 Yo yo’s in an hour (although the TV was on in the background).  I added two buttons, layered up and decided to go a bit embellishment mad as I felt the fabric pattern called for it.

I took a plain circle of the floral material and edged it in a simple lace against a plain background.  I really love the finish on this circle especially against the rest of the cushion. 

I've never used Ric-rac as a trim all around the edge of a cushion before but since I had the exact colour match, I thought I’d have a go and it worked.  The zip end makes the ric-rac tilt inwards a little but it does go around all 4 sides with the same amount of wave/ arch pretty much so I am pleased with the overall finish.  I had quite a lot of the Ikea fabric and so used it as a backing for this patchwork piece and then decided to make a few more co-coordinating cushions.

More ric-rac and lace used here in my usual way but I really love the vintage lace here.

This was a bit of crazy patchwork and then I created an envelope back with ties for a pretty finish. The back is more detailed than the front at the moment but I have more plans to embellish with more Yoyo's, ribbon and trim.

I also remembered I had some crochet doilies in matching colours and felt they would be a good fit for the age/ design of the retro look they now had.  I haven’t quite finished my last 2 cushions but here are pics of the other doilies to be added.  I wanted to wait until I had finished all the cushions before I wrote this post, but worried it may be another few weeks!  I think it’s quite realistic with fellow crafty mums that these projects are finished in stages.

On that note, I can reveal I have a few other projects at different stages of finish that I hope to share soon.  I was chatting to a lady from Rainbows about my quilts etc. and she said she’d like to see them upon which, she bought 2!  It was a huge confidence boost and makes me want to do more fairs but may have to wait a little longer as kiddie care is more and more demanding as Mikey grows more inquisitive and mobile.  It’s his birthday this week and we’re having a teddy bears picnic after church on Sunday.  Here are the invites I made- all are unique and have magnetic noses to make the easy to store and find!

No comments:

Post a Comment