Saturday 9 March 2013

Hen crafts and laughs

I have discovered new levels of exhaustion! Perhaps it is the not giving myself enough time to recover after being ill, or the fact that I am 31 weeks pregnant, or that I (like other members of my family, according to my mum) suffer with a condition which makes us believe time is elastic believing foolishly, that i can fit everything in.  Perhaps it is a combination of all 3 but this has been a tiring couple of weeks.  2 craft fairs and a hen day in the last few weeks has left me more than a little whacked.  My crafting has been fairly constant but pictures are few!  Today was the said hen night and with young inexperienced bridesmaids in the hen organising department, I was asked to help out.  15 goody bags, 24 fairy cakes, egg mayo and some ham sandwiches, photo-booth props, table cloths, Mr & Mrs Game, 15 jars, washed, labels peeled and decorating bits gathered....all part of my helping out task.  We arrived and set up 4 tables with just a collection of some of my vintage tablecloths.

Then we set up a jar decorating table for tea lights to go inside.  The 'bits' included tissue paper, paper doilies, brown string and various coloured raffia chord/ ribbon, brown paper and sticky-tape.   I only have a picture of my creation but there were some beautiful ones made- all different shapes and sizes.  Mine was from a pesto jar so quite cute and small whereas the tall slim curry jars looked very effective (and there were a couple left over for me to play with this week, YAY).

The bride-to-be has very talented sisters, one of whom is a budding photographer   A pink backdrop was created using fabric and props were left strewn around a cornered off section.  They had a large empty photo-frame and the guests were left to dress up for pictures etc.  here's one of me taking Louise taking a picture.  Once her pics are ready, I will upload a few from the day.


I had also made fairy cakes for people to decorate themselves; providing some squirty icing in a can, a bowl of pink butter icing  and then options of silver balls, sugar crystals and sprinkles.  There are no photos of these as they were devoured upon completion!  I did, however take pictures of the cakes one of the guests made: WOW


They looked and tasted fabulous!  April also baked brownies and jam tarts despite being in work all week (including this morning) and having had baked copious amounts for International women's day yesterday and said she will be baking an additional 50+ biscuits tonight for the children in Sunday school to decorate for her church mothers tomorrow!

April also brought along lots of nail varnishes etc and gave most of the guests manicures.  We finished with games- tissue paper brides dresses, Mr and Mrs Quiz and there was a pass the bouquet game that we ran out of time for :(


I made 15 goody bags- one for each lady, to take their jars home in and included the answers to the Mr and Mrs Quiz.  They each were able to fill their bag with left over sweets and cakes.  Again, they were snatched up and I don't have pictures BUT I will recreate one for my craft project this week.  It certainly was a challenge but one I would do again in a heartbeat.  The bride-to-be is very special to me and I am pleased to have been able to my bit in creating a hen day preparing her for domesticity!

No comments:

Post a Comment